Information for Postdocs
Access the Gym
Postdoctoral Scholars are eligible for free access to the Lyon Center (1026 W 34th St, Los Angeles, CA 90089) and HSC Fitness Center (2001 N Soto St, Los Angeles, CA, 90032).
- Postdocs must enroll in PDF-999 course through Web Registration.
Staff/Faculty Transportation Subsidy 2022
The USC Transit Subsidy Program is designed both to help save money for employees who choose to commute using public transportation and to reduce the number of single-passenger vehicles being used for commuting. Please go here for more information. Inquiries directed here: email@example.com
Access to USC Connect/Career Center
Postdoctoral Scholars have access to connectSC and resources including CareerBeam, Goinglobal, Versatile Ph.D., Career Access Resource Library (CARL), Candid Career, Biocareers and more. In addition to being able to attend alumni career events, postdocs also receive four, 50-minute career counseling appointments for the academic year.
- Enroll in PDF-999
- Check on your myUSC account to determine if you are currently enrolled into PDF-999
- If you are not enrolled then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All postdoctoral scholars on the Postdoctoral Scholar Benefits Plan are entitled to receive up to 20 units of tuition remission for coursework at USC (cannot exceed more than four units in a semester). If the courses that you are taking are related to your job then the tuition remission benefits are exempt from taxes.
- Postdoctoral Scholars need to get approval from their faculty mentor and Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
- Complete your IDP
- Complete the Tuition Remission Form
- Email the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs BEFORE enrolling for approval
- Talk to your mentor/supervisor/PI and ask for approval to take a course
- Complete your IDP
- Complete your Tuition Remission Form
- Send your completed IDP and Tuition Remission Form to email@example.com by registration deadline
Tuition Remission only covers the cost of tuition, other fees are the responsibility of the Postdoc. These fees include:
- lab and/or access fees, readers and other course materials
- Norman Topping Fee
- USC Student Services Fee
- Optional: Graduate Programming Fee
- Paying for the USC Graduate Programming Fee
- makes you eligible to apply for the USC GSG Travel Grant Program
- gives you access to USC GSG Free legal counseling services
More information can be found at: https://postdocs.usc.edu/scholars/career-development/tuition-remission/
Immigration Options for Postdocs: A survey of immigrant and nonimmigrant visa categories
The PDA invites immigration law specialists to review common immigration questions.
The USC PDA invited specialists in immigration and national law to review the eligibility requirements for the most common immigration classifications and answer your questions!
Eileen Chun-Fruto & Lucy Avedissian have kindly provided their presentations as a source of information for those looking for immigration options.
USC Libraries Bioinformatics Services
A review of the bioinformatics services available at USC can be found here.