January 8, 2020
Fellowship and Job Opportunities – January 2020
Adjunct Faculty – Health Sciences – Clinical Laboratory Science
“Our mission is to deliver an exceptional student experience by providing superior programs and services that are relevant and result in meaningful learning.”
National University is San Diego’s largest private nonprofit university. We are proud to provide high quality higher education to our diverse student population from across the United States, and in multiple countries. As an institution, we value accessibility and provide our students and faculty the opportunity to thrive in a dynamic and exciting work environment. In 2010, National University was named a Great College to Work For in a survey by The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Note: This position will be teaching hybrid (onsite and online) 4-week courses. Onsite classes are taught at the College of the Canyons campus in Santa Clarita, CA.
Essential Job Duties:
• Effective classroom instruction
• Participating in classroom discussion boards
• Grading assignment and responding to student inquiries
• Providing timely feedback to students’ questions and concerns
• Have a strong emphasis on student-centered learning
• Master’s Degree in Health Science or related field, from a regionally accredited university
• Terminal degree (PhD) in a related field, from a regionally accredited university is strongly preferred.
• Work experience in relevant subject area
• Proficiency in common internet tools, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Experience with teaching adult learners
• Blackboard teaching experience preferred
• Must reside and be eligible to work in the United States
National University offers competitive salaries, and an opportunity to work in an innovative environment that supports diversity.
National University is an equal opportunity employer and educator. National University does not discriminate in its programs or activities, against individuals, on the basis of their race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or any other bases protected by state or federal laws.
BS – Clinical Laboratory Science
The Intelligence Community (IC) Postdoctoral Research Program will be accepting applications January 6 – February 28, 2020. The Program supports postdocs to conduct research at universities, colleges, and U.S. government laboratories throughout the United States.
Recent Ph.D. graduates or doctoral students who will soon complete their degrees are encouraged to apply. The fellowships offer a very competitive annual stipend and an annual travel allowance for the Postdoc, as well as a stipend and travel allowance to the host institution. We appreciate any assistance in helping us identify competitive candidates for these prestigious fellowships.
- Annual stipends range from $75,000 to $79,000, depending on research location.
- Annual travel budget of up to $6,000
- Appointments for two years, and option to extend for a third year
- Host institutions receive an annual laboratory budget of up to $5,000.
- Research advisors receive a $10,000 stipend and an annual travel budget of up to $2,000.
Postdoc Eligibility: U.S. citizenship required; Ph.D. received within five years of the application deadline
Application Deadline: February 28, 2020
Please visit the IC Postdoc website to view the upcoming research opportunities: https://orise.orau.gov/icpostdoc/current-opportunities.html
Field Application Scientist – Remote, Los Angeles/Orange County (Thermo Fisher Scientific)
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, and you’ll be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you’ll find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
How will you make an impact?
Provides scientific expertise and applications support and training to customers on Thermo Fisher Scientific’s sample preparation products through a variety of interfaces including in-person, phone and email communications. Partners with sales reps in the field to deliver sample preparation pre- and post-sales related customer support activities and solve customer escalations effectively. Acts as a trusted expert to our customers, thereby increasing customer satisfaction and loyalty and contributing to the overall success of the business.
What will you do?
- Performs product demonstrations at customer or company sites
- Prepares and presents seminars to wide array of audiences
- Generate and record opportunities related to the Thermo Fisher Scientific workflow including Service contracts.
- Provides start-up applications training to customers in their laboratories or as an instructor at Thermo Fisher Scientific training centers.
- Provides troubleshooting support to customers in the field or by phone/email.
- Resolves and/or escalates customer issues & complaints.
Other Roles & Responsibilities
- Acquire and maintain theoretical and practical knowledge of real-time PCR and digital PCR applications/workflows.
- Reports on technical trends going on in the territory by relating customer concerns and issues to the appropriate internal partners.
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
How will you get here?
Requires a BA or BS in Biology, MicroBiology, BioChemistry or related scientific field. Masters or PhD strongly preferred.
- Requires a minimum of 3+ years of laboratory or related work experience.
- Hands-on experience of real-time PCR on market-leading platforms is essential. 1+ year of working with Life Technologies/Applied Biosystems real-time PCR instruments preferred.
- Experience in presenting technical materials in written and verbal form is critical. Experience in a customer-facing role and/or providing technical and scientific presentations to a variety of audiences is strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Is able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Capable of working independently. Is self-motivated and proactive.
- Demonstrates clear and concise communications and is capable of interacting with a diverse population of internal and external contacts.
- Is customer-centric and keenly aware of markets, trends and competitors
- Typically works remotely from home office.
- Travel may range from 50% to 75%.
- Responsible to effectively manage schedule and negotiate scheduling conflicts
- Valid Driver’s license is required.
- Most duties are performed at field locations which may require walking within customer facilities, standing while giving presentations or conducting meetings and sitting to complete reports and sales calls.
- Demonstrations may require moving equipment and manual dexterity and ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Significant experience in a marketing role/product management, life sciences preferred
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.